Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 May 2011

20 best commercially available/broadcast quality dance mixes!

OK, in no particular order, here are my top 20 favourite radio or CD mixes. I've been wanting to write about these mixes for a while, but just haven't got round to it, really!

1)Coldcut -JDJ 
It's funny, but most of my favourite DJ mixes are defined by a single moment or track dropping which elevates it above the rest somehow. In this case it was  the closing act of this mix: 'Dr. Who' theme, followed by The Moody Boys 'Free' and DJ Food's 'Dusk', by the time  'Sparky, the magic piano' exclaims-"Your time is up I will no longer play for you!" the awareness that it would  be a while before I heard something as good again almost turned to a sort of bereavement. I realised that not only was this mix one of the best I'd ever hear (despite my relative ignorance of dance music at the time), but that it was extremely rare to hear any DJ back then go through so many styles. From Joanna Law to BDP, Jello Biafra to Jedi Knights and Plastikman to Jhelisa, this mix is, I believe the first genre-hopping trip through late 20th Century music to achieve universal acclaim. My belief is that this mix is the closest in spirit to the original hip hop DJ's of the 70's and early 80's, whose main concern was in finding the breaks to make people dance, a style which had almost disappeared in an era of 90's era swagger rapping and murderous rivalry or political po-facedness. Of course, a few years later, 2 Many DJ's came along with pro-tools to dispel the dominance of single genre dance mixing forever(I hope)

2)Justin Robertson Select free JDJ, (tape)1995
3)Trent Reznor & Charlie Clouser -Natural Born Killers Soundtrack, 1994
4)Dj Sneak Essential mix, August 1997
5)Richie Hawtin mixmag live 20
6)Derrick Carter: Mixmag Cosmic Disco (&Cut The Cra Back To Basics)
7)Liam Howlett - The Dirtchamber/Breezeblock mixes
8)Daft Punk Alive 1997(& Essential Mix Aril 1997)
9)Chemical Brothers Brother's Gonna Work It out(& NME Xmas Dust Up tape)
10)Richie Hawtin Dex, FX & 909
11)2manyDJ's-As Heard On Radio Soulwax,Vol. 4
12)Freddie Fresh-Essential Mix, 1997
13)James Lavelle(w/ The Psychonauts)-Cream Live
14)Jeff Mills Live @ Liquid Rooms Tokyo
15)DJ Krush & Coldcut-Cold Krush Kuts
16)Carl Cox F.A.C.T
17)DJ Lottie Muzik Maagzine summer 2001
18)Any Weatherall Fabric(& Cut The Cra Back To Basics)
19)Fatboy Slim-Beat up The NME
20)Dope Smugglaz Essential mix November 1998

I believe next time, I will give a list of my favourite Ive sets an  DJ gigs, as all this listing is right u my street.










No comments:

Post a Comment